St Thomas’s Chapel of Ease lies on the York Road, on the right hand side going towards the A59, with the Church of England Primary School standing to the rear.
It falls within the Church Parish of Whixley with Green Hammerton, the Parish Church of the Ascension being situated in Whixley.
St Thomas’s Church was given Grade II listing in 2008.
The Chapel was built in 1873 – 75 on land donated by the Lord of the Manor, Henry Farrer, and completed in 1876, at the instigation of the Rev. William Valentine, incumbent of the Parish at the time. It is officially designated as a ‘Chapel of Ease’ as the Rev Valentine’s purpose in building it was to relieve the local parishioners of the need to walk to the Parish Church in Whixley. The building was designed by the renowned Victorian architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott, who had connections with the area, probably through the Farrer family. ( He was also responsible for the design of many other famous landmarks, including the Albert Memorial and St Pancras station in London)
The organ chantry was added in 1899, paid for by public subscription, and there are a number of high quality stained glass windows to be seen, designed and manufactured by nationally known firms such as Clayton and Bell ( both of whom had initially been trained by Gilbert Scott) and James Powell.
The church is also mentioned in Nickolaus Pevsner’s famous book, ‘The Buildings of England’
In the Parish of Whixley and Green Hammerton, St Thomas’s Church exists within a wider benefice of church parishes, which includes Great and Little Ouseburn, and Marton cum Grafton. At the present time, services – to which all will be made welcome -are advertised on the vilaage website at
St Thomas’s is available for services of Baptism, Weddings and Funerals. For further details, please contact the Revd Joan Roper, telephone 01423 331661
The Church is open during daylight hours and visitors are very welcome to come and look around, or take time out for some quiet reflection.