Parish records indicate that the Green Hammerton
women’s cricket team was founded in 1949. Club
president Mrs Benson used to give an account of the
club’s state of play at annual village meetings. The
cricket field was located beyond the bottom of The
Green and round the corner where the public foot path
cuts across to Low House. The field is now owned by
Noel Hetherton. This picture, kindly provided by June
Daniel must date from the 60s when the field was last
in use.

Back row, from left: June Langthorne (née Raw),
Marina Barnes, Liz Driver, Mary Raw, Florence Adams
(Witham), unknown. Front row: Lilian Thompson
(Armitage), Mary Walkington (Taylor), Pam Barton
(Kirby), Nellie Webster, Barbara Copley, Sheila
Whitaker (Lord) and Mary Whitaker.